I have noticed that some of my students struggle to think for themselves when posed with open-ended questions in Maths. While they may be able to solve equations, when faced with a "good question" they struggle to interpret what information they need to answer the question, struggle to identify what information in the question is needed to solve it and also struggle to question themselves e.g. "What do I already know?", "What do I think this is asking?"
These observations have been made after attending the Maths symposium in the July school holidays on "Good Questions".
Teaching Inquiry
Attended Taranaki North Math Symposium (July Holidays)
Reading “Open-ended Maths Activities(Peter Sullivan)
Discuss enjoyment of Maths and ways to solve problems
Begin to use questions in class – start with a small group, extend to whole class
Use the teaching approach mentioned in the book
Teaching
I have begun to pose open-ended questions at the beginning of Maths lessons. Whilst some students are working on Maths goals, half the class are with me whilst we talk through a problem.
Initially they have found this very difficult. Some students sit muddled, others attempt.
I am using the following process:
- Pose a question
- Allow individual time for thinking how to solve and calculate
- Discussing the problem and how to solve with a partner
- Sharing of strategies - whole class
- Paired teaching when appropriate
Learning
Students will be able to:
Identify what a question is asking
Identify the information needed to answer the question - if sufficient information is not given, identify this and ask for the information
Attempt to find a way to solve a problem - using whatever strategy and knowledge they do have
Develop new knowledge and strategies to solve a problem
Learning Inquiry
Observations:
Students have initially found this difficult - are they not used to being asked open-ended rich questions? I am thinking that the more they are exposed to this the easier it will become?
I have noticed that less able children do not understand the question or explanations from other students. I know need to make sure that these children have an easier problem that they can interpret (but mathematically similar) to allow them success but also to provide a way of solving the original harder problem. The idea is that the easier problem will naturally lead them on to the harder question.
I am also not catering for the students that do solve the problem quickly - these students need harder problems. Or could possible be writing the problems for other students?
A small selection of students are quickly identifying that they need to ask for more information - very pleasing.
I think modelling of how to solve the problems may be necessary.
Next steps and implications for Teaching
- Continue to use rich questions on a regular basis - adapt programme so they are used more regularly in Maths lessons not just at the start. I am reminded that this is not a stand alone programme but supplements current programme. More practise will helpfully hope students to develop deeper thinking.
- Use the approach above across Maths - Pose a problem, individual thinking time, discuss with someone, sharing, paired teaching
- Work with less able students to model and discuss how to solve these types of problems - these students need to become aware of their own thinking in Mathematics.
- Set students the challenge to solve the problems 2 ways
- Begin using images/photos as described in the Maths symposium - "Find the Maths"
Do I need to have more thorough evidence that the teaching practice is making a difference? If so, how?
I have also learnt that TAI's are ideally centered around a small group of target students - 5-6 is the magic number.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.